Thursday, July 14, 2011

Contemplating Felineacide

Dupree Danticat is driving me nuts. Since John is away, he is missing him, manifesting itself in melancholy yowling and manipulating me with his food. I open a can of Fancy Feast whatever, and he will scarf it down --for a while. Then it just sits on the plate and spoils, while he roams around the house yowling for more food. So I give him some new food, which he nibbles on and then abandons. What he likes at 8 a.m. he no longer likes at 11 a.m. Sometimes if I wait him out, he'll eat it. But sometimes he won't and complains in his Siamese-y yowl until I have to throw things at him. It's like having a two year old kid back in the house.
When he's not yowling he sits on my lap and stares at me while I'm trying to read. Very high maintenance, he is. He's older than I am, in cat years, and his teeth hurt and all, but he is very hard to live with these days. He is relentless and I am very tired of him.

3 comments:

SallyB said...

Awwwwww, he just misses his daddy, that's all! He's old, set in his ways and has been spoiled rotten by his person, who is out of town for what appears to be the remainder of the summer. Once John is done with this job in Athens and comes home, things will return to some semblance of normal. Until then, just be patient with the old beast. He can't help that he is in mourning right now. His person has never been away from him this long and he's got abandonment issues to begin with, so he's doubtless assuming that he's once again been abandoned and left out there in the wilds to starve to death.

Yes, he is VERY high maintenance, indeed, but he's been a good boy throughout all these medical miseries that I've had to subject him to these past few weeks. One more trip to the vet next Tuesday and he can relax that he won't be poked, prodded, have anything stuck down his gullet or forced to take any sort of medicine again. Such a good boy, though, really. He's been through a lot in recent weeks, so he can be forgiven for being a bit of a pain lately, poor thing!

Word verification: spingus - moldy spinach

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Sounds like he's tired of you, too . . . .

floribunda said...

My old guy has similar fickle eating habits! On top of that, he usually won't eat unless I stand there and watch him.