Monday, May 30, 2011

A Little Bit of Spring






I almost forgot. There was a brief rain-free day in the middle of May. My swamp iris burst into bloom, along with the forget-me-nots and lasted long enough for a few photos. My friend Cindy gave them to me a number of years ago and I really enjoy their color, such a lovely deep purple. They are smaller than regular iris. I probably should thin them because they are getting rather crowded. I saw a demo on thinning bulb plants a few years ago and it looks so brutal that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I need to do the same with my stella d'oros, too. I mean you have to take a sharp knife and just slash into the poor things and it's like separating Siamese - uh- conjoined twins or something.
At any rate, here they are in their brief glory and they and the lilacs suffuse my ssoul with shades of purple, mauve and lilac every spring, rain or no rain.



No comments: