Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Mystery Lily

Last year, this plant came up and grew tall like Jack's beanstalk. Eventually a lovely pale peach lily, just one, bloomed at the top. Within two days,m it was gone, snapped up by a voracious deer. It was just one of those passing  magic moments. I had no idea where it had come from. It was just there.
This year the stalk started growing again, only this time, it has borne a whole slew of the beauties. No deer has as yet chomped on it, and it has been in bloom for over a week. It has a delicate, sweet scent and glows softly in the early evening.

I have written of my mysteriously disappearing underpants, but thtis is something that has appeared out of the blue. Could the underpants thief have guiltily decided that he/she owes me something and planted the lily in passing? I don't know, but I certainly am enjoying the sight and scent of it.

2 comments:

floribunda said...

hmm -- I have a couple of orangey mystery lilies that have popped up in my garden too over the last few years! I live in California, though, so the seeds probably didn't come from the same bird (no one has stolen my underwear, that I know of...)

Expat Hausfrau said...

That is a stunning flower. I love lilies.